Today (look at that timeliness!), I delivered an order for a first birthday that will be happening tomorrow. The theme is blue and grey elephants. Such a classic and sweet theme for a first birthday or a baby shower. This is one of my first orders for someone that I do not know at all. I have taken orders from friends, acquaintances, co-workers, and friends’ family members, but this was a co-worker of my friend who had the Lumberjack Party. She texted to see if I was interested. After confirming that her co-worker knew that I do this on the side in-between taxes and kids and was not a professional, I agreed. Like all orders that involve royal icing, this project spanned a couple days.
I baked the cookies on Valentine’s Day after our annual V-Day dinner outing to Taco Bell. Romantic, right? The next day, my momma came over and wanted to help. So I put her to work flooding cookies. We had a nice assembly line going. I would do the outline, and she would flood the icing. It made that process go quickly which was a good thing since I wanted them to dry a bit before adding some details.
I was able to add the eyes, tail, and little white feet on later in the night when the icing had hardened a touch. I waited until the next morning to add the ears since I was free-handing them and, wanted to be able to adjust the icing with my scribe while not messing up the base layer of icing. The ears were dry by the time I got home and the cookies were able to be packaged. I packaged the cookies in little treat bags and sealed them with my food saver. The topper touch was my mom. She brought paper when she came to help me flood the cookies and had everything cut and ready to go for me.
For the cupcake toppers, I printed a template for the shape of elephant I wanted and the size of heart I wanted for the ear. I am not sure why I decided to template these ears and not the ones on the cookies, I just did. Maybe because the cupcakes are going to be viewed as a group and having them look uniform appeals to me. I put wax paper over my templates and made the toppers out of royal icing. Once the heart and elephant were dry, I glued the hearts onto the elephants with a little royal icing. The eyes I had made with leftover royal icing from another project when I made sprinkles.
Since royal icing needs drying time, I did all things that required royal icing first. Then it was on to cupcakes. These were simple white cupcakes with vanilla buttercream using my favorite buttercream recipe. While I made the icing and cupcakes last night, I waited until this morning to pipe it on and add the toppers. The royal icing will absorb some moisture from the buttercream and become a little more fragile and soft. This is great for biting into one but not for transport. I already had the icing and tips ready to go, so the process only took a couple minutes.
The last thing I worked on last night was the smash cake. The smash cake was a small, two layer, 4″ round with vanilla buttercream. I kept the design simple and added an extra cupcake topper to a stick to be the center piece. It was a nice way to tie everything together.
Everything turned out great and coordinated really well. I hope this little boy has a wonderful birthday tomorrow. He has lots of goodies to celebrate!